Do you have an electric blanket that you snuggle into when it is cold out? Like every other piece of bedding, it needs to be cleaned too but, you cannot just wash it like any other blanket. The process is quite simple and does not require you to make an expensive trip to your local dry cleaner.
Since dry cleaning is not an option, electrical service companies often get questioned about how exactly an electric blanket can be cleaned, if that is even possible. Well, you can definitely have your electric blanket look brand new again. Here is what electricians suggest you do.
Washing by Hand
Any electrical maintenance organization you go to for advice will tell you to first ensure that your blanket is not plugged in. Disconnect the blanket and the cord to avoid any damage. For additional safety, electricians believe that you should be extra careful and check everything again since there is an electrical appliance involved.
Next, your local electrical service will tell you to fill a tub with enough water to move the blanket around freely. Add some laundry detergent and let it soak for at least 15 minutes. In order to avoid having to take your blanket for any electrical maintenance, take it out and rinse it properly. Be sure to remove all the excess water.
Wash in a Machine
If handwashing is not something you want to do, then electrical services suggest that you wash your electrical blanket in a machine! However, electrical maintenance protocols warn that you need to be extra cautious when doing so.
Electricians suggest that you pre-soak the blanket in cold water and add mild soap for around 15 minutes before washing it. Once soaked, set your machine to ‘gentle’ or ‘delicate’ for two minutes. According to electrical maintenance experts, run a couple of cycles before you finally take the blanket out. Once again, be sure to rinse it properly and get out any extra water droplets.
Other Helpful Tips
Though the process of washing your electrical blanket seems easy enough, here are some additional tips from competent electrical service providers to ensure maximum safety.
- Do not use cleaning fluids or bleach, just detergent. If you are unsure about which detergent is suitable, get in touch with a reliable electrical maintenance company like Quick Spark for a suggestion.
- Do not iron your electric blanket. Electricians recommend letting it dry out the conventional way.
- Do not use any heating pads to dry clean the blankets. Your local electrical service provider can explain in detail but simply put, the solvents can potentially cause lasting damage to your blanket.
- Do not use any kind of sprays on the blanket.
- Be sure to keep the controller of the blanket away from any liquid source.
If you need any further help regarding cleaning your electric blanket, all you need to do is get in touch with a team of local and trained electricians, such as those at Quick Spark. They have the necessary knowledge to give you valuable tips regarding your electric blanket and how to keep it in spick and span condition.