Common household electrical problems can usually be fixed in a few minutes without needing fancy tools or expertise. However before jumping into it, you first need to identify whether these electrical problems are hazardous or harmless. While it is always a good choice to hire a professional to deal with your electrical issues, you can sometimes do it yourself. So if you have been ignoring common electrical problems in your house, here’s how you can fix them yourself!
DIY electrical issues:
Broken light switch: Turn off the correct circuit breaker which will make the lights go off. Remove the faceplate by using a flathead screwdriver and use a Philips head to take the light switch out. Test the wires connected to the screw for electricity. Disconnect and reassemble the light switch if it is safe.
Loose outlet plug: Switch off the breaker. Using a voltmeter, check for voltage to the outlet. Remove the cover plate by unscrewing it and add outlet shims to make them tight with the wall.
Simple short circuit: Some appliances like hair dryers can cause short circuits or trip frequently. When this happens, simply reset the breaker. If short circuits occur repeatedly with the same appliance, it indicates that the appliance is faulty – instead of the electrical system.
Damaged extension cord: First, unplug both ends. Cut off the old plug using a cutter. Peel the insulation jacket to expose the wires inside. Each wire should be stripped using a wire stripper while twisting each of them tightly towards the end. Screw them in the plug, close the plug and secure the wires.
Hazardous electrical issues
Light bulbs burn out frequently: Bulbs blowing out very often may be a serious issue if they are not being overused. A loose connection in either the socket or the circuit may be causing your bulb to blow out frequently. If you live in Australia, a licensed electrician, Sydney may help you resolve this problem.
Flickering or dimming lights: This is often identified as a sign of poor connection which could eventually lead to arcing. If left unattended, over time it could result in sparking, overheating and even fire.
Warm switches: Switches, other than those of dimming lights, should feel cold to the touch. Warm switches are seen as a safety concern which should be addressed by a 24 hour emergency electrician if the need arises.
Dead outlets: A dead outlet can be the result of a tripped connection with possible arcing and alternatively a tripped breaker caused due to excessive heat build-up which leads to wires being melted.
Having no experience in solving electrical problems may turn out to be dangerous. After all, dealing with electrical problems is far different from dealing with a dry wall. To add to it, a dry wall can be easily replaced but you cannot! So if you don’t have the expertise or tools to solve common electrical problems, just dial Quick Spark for instant professional help!