Quick Spark Blogs

Ideas, explanations and examples about electrical topics and issues.

How to Detect Faulty Electrical Wiring

How to Detect Faulty Electrical Wiring

Damaged, outdated as well as poorly installed electrical wiring is a serious problem that should always be addressed as soon as possible. Every year, there are at least a thousand cases of residential electrical fires caused by faulty wiring. Unfortunately, these incidences often leave homeowners with expensive repairs and hospital bills to contend with. Knowing the signs of an electrical problem can potentially help you prevent a dangerous situation from occurring. By detecting faulty wiring early enough, you can avoid the dangers of devastating electrical fires and make your home a safe and better place. What’s more, you’ll avoid the inconvenience caused by inconsistent electrical appliance performance.

Though you might be able to troubleshoot some of these symptoms of faulty wiring, it is always advisable to rely on the knowledge and the experience of a professional to help you solve any of your electrical problems. Peruse the article and get to know how you can check for faulty wiring.

Watch out for chewed or frayed wiring:

It is always common for pets, rodents to interfere with your wiring. If you spot any frayed or chewed wires in your home, you should act fast and call in an electrician for a repair. This is because this small problem can be a source of huge electrical shocks and fire hazards.

Does your circuit breaker keep on tripping?

It is quite normal for your circuit breaker to trip. After all, this is what they are designed to do. And on most occasions, you should just switch it on, and it will just be fine. However, if the circuit breaker fails and trips regularly, just know that this is a surefire symptom that you have a deeper and possibly dangerous problem with your home’s electrical system. Don’t hesitate to contact your local electrical repair technician for a professional diagnosis.

Flickering and dimming lights are a great sign of faulty wiring:

If your lights dim or flicker when you are using a microwave, hairdryer or a space heater, this is usually nothing to worry about. However, if the problem keeps on happening, it may be a sign of a more serious electrical problem. Dimming or flickering lights may mean that there are loose electrical connections in your outlets or your electrical panel. Loose electrical connections are known to cause arcing, which occurs when sparks of electricity ‘jumps’ from one connection to another. Arcing is a major cause of electrical fires, which implies that you’ll have to contact your local electrical service for immediate diagnosis and repairs.

Are there any visible signs of scorching, discoloration or smoke from your wiring?

Closely inspect the outlet points within your home. If there are any signs of discolouration as well as scotch spots on the outlets, it could be a telltale sign that the electrical wiring in your home is faulty. Simply put, this means that some sections of your home wiring are releasing heat! Left unattended to, this could easily translate into a much worse problem. Due diligence should guide you to find a qualified and experienced electrician to examine and repair your wiring accordingly.

Is your home’s electrical system properly grounded?

In a typical modern home, nearly every part of the electrical system is grounded. In simple terms, this means that that particular electrical system has an unbroken connection to the ground away from your house. Should there be an electrical fault, such as short, electrical energy will be safely directed to the earth through the grounding system. It is worth to mention that homes that were built in the 1950s may either have inadequate or lack functional ground connections. So, is this dangerous? Yes, this can be very dangerous! If you live in an old home, you should make arrangements and have its electrical wiring system upgraded to ensure it has a grounding system. It’s not just smart; it’s a regulatory requirement!

One straightforward way to test your outlets for grounding is by plugging in a receptacle tester. If the tester shows there is an open ground, just know that the grounding system may not be properly installed or there is no grounding altogether. If this is the case, just give us a call. Quick Spark electrician can help you with diagnosis, and subsequent installation of a proper grounding system. Call now 1300 265 751

Quick Spark

Read more posts by this author.

Have an electrical emergency? Call Now to Book an Appointment!

    Call us on 1300 877 275


    Quick Connect