Quick Spark Blogs

Ideas, explanations and examples about electrical topics and issues.

7 definite signs your house needs rewiring

7 definite signs your house needs rewiring

Do you know that 39% of home fires outbreak because of defective or old outlets or electrical wiring?

Technology is continuously growing, and with that, there is also an increased number of household appliances and devices that need power. This raised demand for electricity in your house means you need to be alert to household wiring.

People usually take their home’s electrical system for granted and ignore the signs of damage. Sometimes “small” signs point to massive issues. Identifying the signs your home needs rewiring can prevent shocks, burnt or damaged devices, and dangerous house fires.

1. Often tripping of circuits and often blown fuses: if your circuits often trip, fuses blow, or circuit breakers flip when you use several electrical appliances at once, the chances are that you have an older electrical system at your home offering fewer amps and is undersized. And this means it doesn’t support your household’s demands. One more cause could be worn-out wiring.

2. Sockets are down: how can you use electricity if the sockets don’t work? If your devices and appliances don’t work when you link them to a socket, something is definitely wrong. Although this may seem to be a little problem with the electrical maintenance, it could impact the entire wiring and power supply throughout the house.

3. Flickering or dimming lights: if you notice that the LED lights or incandescent lights go dim or flicker, it’s an alarming sign that your home needs rewiring due to voltage fluctuations. The reason for rewiring might be loose terminals or wires. Don’t forget; they both are life-threatening.

4. Burnt light bulbs: fluorescent lights now last for years. If you notice that the light bulbs in your house are often burnt, rather than thinking of bulb replacement or electrical repair, you must think of rewiring.

5. Buzzing or burning smell that never leaves you: if the smell you feel is not of cooking or baking, there might be a hidden faulty outlet or electrical circuit. A general buzzing sound can also confirm that. Installation of dimmers might be the reason, but it may be something really serious, if it is not that.

6. Electrical shocks: experiencing a shock when you touch or plug in a switch or cord might be highly unpleasant. Shocks signify a severe problem with your electrical system. Firstly, check if  the cord if it’s damaged or not? Test it in other sockets. If the cord is fine, there might be a fault in the outlet, or it needs updating. You are left with only one option; rewiring.

7. You are living in an old house: While old homes can look beautiful and elegant, those with electricity problems are usually less appealing. Old outlets, wires, fuse boards, and sockets can be really dangerous, but on the upside; we can replace them.

Quick Spark has a team of professional and well-trained registered technicians who can help you with electrical repair, electrical maintenance, and rewiring to make your home efficient and safe for you and your family.

Quick Spark

Read more posts by this author.

Have an electrical emergency? Call Now to Book an Appointment!

    Call us on 1300 877 275


    Quick Connect